Saturday, October 21, 2006

Fifty Nifty United States

If you have recently moved to Los Angeles, like myself, I would like to give you some ice breaker advice. The one question that will ultimately start a conversation here is:

Where are you from?

The truth is that the vast majority of people in Los Angeles are not from Los Angeles. For example take a concentrated population like the people I work with. (The only time I will mention work in my blog) 6 people out of 21 are actually from Los Angeles and one of those lived in Colombia for the majority of her life. The others are:

Idaho, Nebraska, Orange County (people assure me that this is bery different from Los Angeles), South Africa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Hawaii, Michigan, Viet Nam, Brooklyn and Ohio.

The fact is that I have met very few people who are native to this huge city.

This question I assure you will start a whole list of others like:

Why did you move to L.A.?
How long have you been here?
I am new here where are some decent places to hang out?

Another thing that shocked me about asking this one questions is that here people actually elaborate. (Shocker)

If I asked this question in Minnesota:
Oh, where are you from? Eden Praire
Originally? yes
What do you do? I work at General Mills.

This usually end our conversation becasue a) what I am supposed to do with one word answers and b) No one from Minnesota will actually ask you those same questions back.

If I ask this question here, I goes a lot different.

Where are you from?
I am from Kentucky.
How long have you been here? Well I came out here in 98 for college and never really left.
What do you do? Right now I am trying to get into the acting game but I also nanny for this rich family in Bel Air. They let me go out on auditions whenever I want and it is really great.

Are you new you L.A.? Where are you from and what are you doing here?
email me Smog Life

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]